Notice Of Intended Marriage

The Notice Of Intended Marriage is the first legal document you will need to complete before your wedding ceremony.

The Marriage Act 1961 and Marriage Regulations 2017 set the rules for getting married in Australia. The Act and Regulations require that a legal marriage shall not take place unless a notice in writing of the intended marriage, is given to the authorised celebrant solemnising the marriage at least one calendar month before the proposed marriage.

This document is valid for 18 months from the time of presenting it to your celebrant until the proposed marriage date.


How to fill out a notice of intended marriage form

Carefully read the form so that you have all the information and details required to complete the NOIM truthfully and correctly.

Item 1 – select how you wish to be described

Item 2 – Fill in your family name

Item 3 – Fill in your first and middle name(s)

Item 4 – Select your gender (please note that this section is optional)

Item 5 – Add your usual occupation

Item 6 – Add the address that is your usual place of residence

Item 7 – Select your conjugal status relating only to if you have been married before.

Item 8 – If you were born in Australia, then you need to write the city or town of your birth and the state or territory. If you were born outside Australia then you need to write the town or city you were born in along with the state or province and country.

Item 9 – Fill in your date of birth (use the full year date eg. 1986)

Item 10 – Are the parties getting married related to each other. If you answer yes you will need to include the relationship details.


Then you need to complete details about both sets of parents of the couple who are marring.

Item 11 – Marring couples 1’st parent’s full current name

Item 12 – Marring couples 1’st parent’s full birth names

Item 13 – Marring couples 2nd parent’s full current name

Item 14 – Marring couples 2nd parent’s full birth names

Item 15 – Marring couples 1st parents county of birth

Item 16 – Marring couples 2nd parents country of birth

That’s all you need to fill in now you need to sign.


Signing the Notice of Intended Marriage

Please note that the Notice of Intended Marriage needs to be signed in the presence of an authorised witness.

Authorised witnesses if the Notice is being signed in Australia are an authorised celebrant, a justice of the peace, a barrister or solicitor, a medical practitioner, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory.

If the Notice is being witnessed outside of Australia then the following are authorised witnesses an Australian Consular Officer, an Australian Diplomatic Officer, a notary public, an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, or an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955.


To be completed by authorised celebrant before the ceremony

After you have completed the NOIM and submitted it to your authorised celebrant. This must be done at least one month and not more than 18 months before your proposed marriage. This is unless a prescribed authority has agreed to shorten the notice period (section 42 of the Act)

After your marriage has been solemnised then the documents must be submitted to the Registrar of Birth Deaths and Marriages in the state of territory where the marriage took place within 14 days after the marriage ceremony is performed.

For the celebrant to complete your Notice of Intended Marriage you will need to provide the required legal documents.

  1. One of the following forms of evidence of your place and date of birth. Birth certificate or an official extract, Statutory declaration, Australian passport or Overseas passport
  2. Form of Identification a driver’s license, proof of age/ photo card or a passport
  3. If you have been married before then you will need to show evidence on how the last marriage ended. Death, Divorce, or Nullity.
  4. If a party is under 18 years they will also need to show consents received or court approval.
  5. If approval has been given for shortening of time the document will need to be provided.

Then that’s it for what you need to do to complete your Noice of Intended Marriage, your celebrant will now complete the rest.

To download a copy of the Notice of Intended Marriage in PDF or DOCX